20 Celebrities with Criminal Records: Celebrities are often in the public eye, constantly scrutinized by fans and the media. While some celebrities manage to stay out of trouble, others have been involved in serious criminal incidents that have tarnished their reputation and career. From drug possession and DUIs to assault and even murder, here are some of the most infamous celebrities with serious criminal records.
1. O.J. Simpson – former professional football player and actor, was famously acquitted of the murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ron Goldman in 1995. However, in 1997, he was found liable for their deaths in a civil trial and was ordered to pay $33.5 million in damages.
2. Robert Downey Jr. – actor, struggled with drug addiction and has been arrested multiple times for drug-related offenses. In 1996, he was arrested for possession of heroin, cocaine, and an unloaded .357 Magnum handgun, which led to a three-year prison sentence.
3. Bill Cosby – comedian and actor, was found guilty of sexual assault in 2018 and sentenced to 3 to 10 years in prison. He was accused of drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand in 2004.
4. Lindsay Lohan – actress, has been arrested multiple times for drug-related offenses and driving under the influence. In 2010, she served 14 days in jail for violating probation related to a DUI charge.
5. Mark Wahlberg – actor, was charged with assault and battery in 1988 after attacking two Vietnamese men, during which he used racial slurs. He served 45 days in jail and was also sentenced to two years’ probation.
6. Mike Tyson – former heavyweight boxer, was convicted of rape in 1992 and served three years in prison. He was accused of sexually assaulting 18-year-old Desiree Washington in a hotel room in Indianapolis.
7. Martha Stewart – businesswoman and television personality, was convicted of insider trading in 2004 and served five months in prison. She was accused of selling shares of a biotech company after receiving insider information from her broker.
8. Chris Brown – singer and actor, pleaded guilty to felony assault of his then-girlfriend Rihanna in 2009. Brown physically assaulted Rihanna in a car after an argument, leaving her with visible injuries.
9. Robert Blake – actor, was acquitted of the murder of his wife Bonnie Lee Bakley in a criminal trial in 2005. However, he was found liable for her death in a civil trial and was ordered to pay $30 million in damages.
10. Phil Spector – music producer, was convicted of second-degree murder in 2009 for the death of actress Lana Clarkson. He was accused of shooting her in the mouth at his home in 2003.
11. Roman Polanski – film director, fled the United States after pleading guilty to unlawful sex with a minor in 1977. He was accused of drugging and raping a 13-year-old girl.
12. Winona Ryder – actress, was convicted of grand theft and vandalism in 2002 for shoplifting from a store. She was accused of stealing thousands of dollars worth of clothing and accessories from Saks Fifth Avenue.
13. Tim Allen – comedian and actor, served over two years in prison for drug trafficking in the late 1970s. He was arrested for possession of cocaine and pleaded guilty to drug trafficking charges.
14. Christian Slater – actor, has been arrested multiple times for charges including assault and drug offenses. In 1994, he was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon after attacking his girlfriend with a broken wine glass.
15. Wesley Snipes – actor, was convicted of tax evasion in 2008 and served three years in prison. He was accused of failing to file tax returns and failing to pay taxes on millions of dollars of income.
16. Bruno Mars – singer and songwriter, was arrested for possession of cocaine in 2010 and pleaded guilty to a felony drug charge. He was fined $2,000, completed community service, and attended drug counseling.
17. Robert De Niro – actor and producer, was arrested for drug possession in 1978 after police found a small amount of cocaine in his luggage at an airport.
18. Charlie Sheen – actor, has been arrested multiple times for charges including domestic violence, drug offenses, and assault. In 2010, he was arrested for assaulting his then-wife Brooke Mueller.
19. Woody Harrelson – actor, was arrested in 1982 for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, and in 1996 for planting hemp seeds as an act of civil disobedience.
20. R. Kelly – singer, has faced numerous allegations of sexual abuse, including child pornography and statutory rape. In 2021, he was found guilty on nine charges, including racketeering, sex trafficking, and bribery.
Despite their fame and fortune, celebrities are not immune to the consequences of their actions. While some have faced legal repercussions and served time in prison, others have managed to evade justice or receive light sentences due to their celebrity status. Regardless, their criminal charges serve as a reminder that even those in the public eye are not above the law and must be held accountable for their actions. We hope you enjoy our list of Celebrities with Criminal Records.