Having quality hair is something that doesn’t just happen magically. It takes some work to keep hair healthy, strong and looking its best. Ask anyone who has had their hair melt away, and they probably wish they still had it. Keeping a wonderful head of hair starts with the simplest of products. It starts with shampoo and conditioner.
Different people follow different hair hygiene routines. Some believe in using every day, others choose to every few days or longer. Regardless of what a person chooses to do with their hair, they need to find a shampoo that works for them. Different ingredients promote different things for hair. Whether it’s shine, oil removal or volume, ingredients in shampoo make a huge difference.
What to Look for in Shampoo or Conditioner
Exactly what a person needs is different. The first thing most people want is clean hair. The thing is, almost all shampoos do that. Many people like to avoid certain ingredients that can be harsh or irritating to skin. This is typically sulfates. These ingredients are used to help shampoo foam up. However, it’s sometimes linked to cancer, as well as being irritating to the skin. Other ingredients like parabens should also be avoided.
Aside from the ingredients within the shampoo, the scent of the shampoo is very important to a lot of people. Some lingering scent on the hair is a great treat as you’re going through your day. It’s common for people to choose fruit scents, crisp and clean scents or deep chocolatey scents. A person’s hair products are individual to them. There’s nothing wrong with trying lots of different things before finding the right one.
Popular Women’s Shampoo and Conditioner
There’s virtually hundreds of products that a person can choose from. Women’s shampoos tend to have more ingredients than men’s and be more complicated. In addition, they are more prone to designer labels. Some of the most popular are:
- Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo – This shampoo does an excellent job of cleansing. It also leaves a light tingly sensation after use which can feel fantastic. Typically a bottle costs around $33.
- Matrix Biolage Colorlast Shampoo – For people who color their hair, maintaining the bright colors is crucial. It comes in around $25.
- Pureology Hydrate Shampoo – This expensive ($66) salon product is in demand. It softens hair and has an incredible scent.
- Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Conditioner – This conditioner does a great job of keeping hair glossy and shiny. A very popular choice costing around $20.
- Dove Advanced Hair Series Conditioner – Not all products need to be expensive to be good. This conditioner comes in at a simple $4 per bottle and does a great job for the price!
Popular Men’s Shampoo and Conditioner
Men are often more influenced by advertising than women are. This is especially true when it comes to hygiene products. A lot of the most popular products are those seen in commercials or with heavy advertising.
- Head & Shoulders – The line of Head & Shoulders products is well known for their claims of stopping dandruff. At around $6 per bottle, it certainly won’t break the bank.
- ManCave Caffeine Shampoo – This product comes in around $20 per bottle. It’s excellent for the scalp.
- AXE Products – The AXE line of products is arguably the best selling line of men’s products in the world now (some stats disagree). Their shampoos, conditioners and 2 in 1 products typically run between $3 and $5 per bottle.
- Jack Black Nourishing Hair & Scalp Conditioner – These very popular products are found in a lot of homes for men. Prices run around $20 per bottle.